What are cookies?
For modern websites to work according to visitors expectations, they need to collect certain basic information about visitors. To do this, a site will create small text files which are placed on visitor’s devices – these files are known as cookies. Cookies are uniquely assigned to each visitor, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to the visitor. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to a visitor’s device.
Cookies do various jobs which make the visitor’s experience of the internet much smoother and more interactive. For instance, cookies are used to remember the visitor’s preferences on sites they visit often, to remember language preference and to help navigate between pages more efficiently. Much, though not all, of the data collected, is anonymous, though some of it is designed to detect browsing patterns and approximate geographical location to improve the visitor experience.
SCL places cookies to store and then retrieve small bits of information on your computer when you visit. This is to ensure that our content is tailored to your specifications, thereby improving the visitor experience of the site. Amongst other things, the cookies we use let us calculate (anonymously) how many visitors the website has.
- o improve the usability of our site
- To route the visitor to the most available web server
- Gathering data about visits to the website, including numbers of visitors and visits, length of time spent on the site, pages clicked on or where visitors have come from
- Information supplied by performance cookies helps us understand how visitors use the website; for example, whether or not visitors have visited before, what visitors looked at or clicked on and how they found us
- Information supplied by performance cookies is used in (re)marketing activities.
By continuing to use the website, you agree to the placement of cookies on your device. If you choose not to receive our cookies, we cannot guarantee that your experience will be as fulfilling as it would otherwise be.